LSVT Parkinson’s Disease Treatment
Siskin Hospital is proud to offer the Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT). LSVT is the primary research-based approach for treating voice and speech disorders for patients with Parkinson's Disease.
Siskin Hospital employs specially-trained LSVT therapists who assist patients with Parkinson's Disease.
For more information on the LSVT therapy options, please contact:
LSVT LOUD (Speech)
Will Hutchinson, MS, SLP-CCC
LSVT BIG (Physical Therapy)
Vickie Blalock, PT
Siskin Hospital offers a support group for Parkinson's Disease. The group is led by a speech-language pathologist specially trained in LSVT LOUD therapy.
Learn more about the Parkinson's Disease Support Group.
LSVT® Global pioneered the Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT), an innovative and clinically-proven method for improving voice and speech in individuals with Parkinson's Disease. Today, LSVT Global specializes in the development of innovative and effective treatments for the speech communication (LSVT LOUD) and physical/occupational therapy (LSVT BIG) needs of individuals with Parkinson's Disease as well as aging and other conditions including stroke, multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy and down syndrome.
The LSVT Programs have been developed and scientifically researched over the past 20 years with funding from the National Institutes of Health. Our mission is to use technology to provide unlimited access to proven treatments for all who can benefit.
In order to participate in the official LSVT program, individuals must complete therapy four times a week for 60 minutes each session. The LSVT LOUD method is clinically researched and has shown proven success with Parkinson's Disease patients having improved volume control, as well as the overall ability to communicate.
LSVT LOUD is the first speech treatment with Level 1 evidence and established efficacy for treating voice and speech disorders in individuals with Parkinson's Disease with application to other neurological disorders.
- The LSVT LOUD improves both the voice and speech of individuals with Parkinson's Disease by treating the underlying physical pathology associated with the disordered voice.
- Treatment focuses on improving vocal loudness and immediate carryover into daily communication enabling patients to maintain and/or improve their oral communication.
- The LSVT LOUD is administered on an intensive schedule of 16 individual 60-minute sessions in one month's time.
- 90 percent of patients improve vocal loudness from pre- to post-treatment.
- Approximately 80 percent of patients maintain treatment improvements in their voice for 12-24 months post-treatment.
- All patients report improvement in their ability to communicate.
- LSVT LOUD is being successfully delivered by over 4,000 certified LSVT clinicians in 41 countries.
LSVT BIG is a research-based exercise approach developed from principles of the effective Parkinson's specific speech treatment LSVT LOUD. Research on LSVT BIG has documented improved ratings on tests of motor functioning in people with Parkinson's Disease following treatment. Improvements include:
- Faster walking with bigger steps
- Improved balance
- Increased trunk rotation
LSVT BIG is a standardized treatment protocol and consists of:
- 16 sessions: Four consecutive days a week for four weeks
- Individual one-hour sessions
- Daily homework practice
- Daily carryover exercises
LSVT BIG will help you establish a life-long habit of BIG PRACTICE! LSVT BIG Treatment includes:
- Trains a single target of amplitude (bigger movements).
- Drives intensive and high-effort practice.
- Teaches the amount of effort required to produce normal movements.
- Translates bigger movements into real-world, everyday activities.
- Empowers people with Parkinson's Disease with their potential to improve.
LSVT BIG will teach how to avoid inactivity and keep your movements ALIVE during everyday activities. It will help patients to participate fully and improve quality of life!
LSVT BIG = BIG EXERCISE!!
Research suggests that you should not wait until you begin to experience disability, impaired function or loss of balance to start exercise-based physical and occupational therapy.
LSVT BIG techniques train individuals with Parkinson's Disease and other neurological conditions to use bigger movements anywhere, anytime in daily living. This empowers individuals with the potential they have to keep moving and stay active. It is essential that LSVT BIG treatments are delivered by physical or occupational therapists who are certified in this method.
Individuals with Parkinson's Disease may benefit from the continuum of care offered by Siskin Hospital's Center for NeuroRecovery. This comprehensive programming elevates the quality of life for those living with neurological conditions such as Parkinson's Disease.
Learn more about Siskin Hospital's Center for NeuroRecovery.