Assists the Nurse Managers/CNO in providing direction and supervision for nursing unit operations. Is a member of the Nursing Management team. Responsible for supervision of nursing unit staff for both Siskin East and Siskin West. Is responsible for ensuring that individualized nursing care is provided and the plan of care is based on age related factors, physical status, rehabilitation needs and the developmental needs of patients. (The adolescent, adult, and/or geriatric patient.) Is responsible to ensure nursing units are in compliance with standards for accreditation and state/federal regulations. Supports hospital operations in the absence of hospital administrators.
Scope of Authority / Leadership Responsibility / Reporting Relationships / Identification of Work Team
Supervisory responsibility for nursing staff, students, and volunteers through either direct or indirect reporting relationships. Is responsible for providing input into employee performance evaluations. Communicates with Nurse Managers regarding disciplinary action. Accountable to the CNO and Nurse Managers for daily management and operating decisions. Works collaboratively with all other patient care and support department managers in meeting identified patient and Hospital needs. Work collaboratively with the Leadership team and Coordinator of Infection Prevention/Employee Health to maintain compliance with standards for accreditation and state/federal regulations.
Patient Ages Served
Adolescent (12 – 18 years of age)
Adult (19 – 65 years of age)
Older Adult (over 65 years of age)
Minimum Qualifications or Equivalents (education, experience, licensure, certification, and/or specific skills) *time frame for proficiency where appropriate
BSN preferred, ASN accepted, Nursing degree must be from an accredited school of nursing.
1. Minimum of three years nursing experience, with a record of progressive supervisory/ management experience beyond staff levels.
2. Previous experience in a physical rehabilitation setting in either a staff or management capacity preferred.
1. Current unrestricted RN Tennessee State licensure in nursing.
2. Current CPR and ACLS certification.
3. CRRN certification within 2 years of being hired.
4. FIM certification – must obtain this within 90 days of being hired.
1. Good interpersonal skills with strong team orientation.
2. Ability to organize thoughts and ideas into a cohesive and logical sequence for written work and oral presentation.
3. Well founded knowledge base within the field of rehabilitation nursing to guide and support clinical and management decisions.
4 Consistency and objectivity in dealing with supervisory and policy issues.
5. Ability to demonstrate a high level of initiative and creative problem solving.
6. Ability to utilize computer system for documentation and medication administration.
7. Ability to communicate effectively with CNO, Nurse Managers, Staff and patients/families.
This position requires the ability to receive detailed/technical information from a variety of sources, retain it and use it effectively in future decision making. The position also requires the ability to communicate effectively with patients, physicians, staff, and visitors, and the ability to move about the hospital environment. Requires the ability to problem solve effectively, use critical thinking skills, multitask and function under pressure. Must be able to concentrate on fine detail with frequent interruptions and remember multiple tasks given to self and others over long periods of time.
Must be able to lift objects of more than fifty pounds and assist with patient transfers (exceeding 200 pounds). Manual dexterity and coordination with the ability to perform moderately difficult manipulative skills such as positioning patients and performance of tasks requiring arm-hand steadiness. Able to walk and stand for prolonged periods of time.
Good hand and eye coordination to carry out fine motor task, such as establishing intravenous line..
Environmental and Working Conditions
1. Exposure to blood, body tissue fluids/hazardous waste materials.
2. Typical office/hospital environment.
3. Must occasionally travel to outside meetings/conferences.
4. May be exposed to infectious diseases.
5. Twelve hour shifts as assigned, with occasional need to assist on non-traditional shifts
Siskin Hospital is a Smoke-Free Facility!
In order to further our mission of helping others achieve and maintain healthy lives, effective March 1, 2017, Siskin Hospital for Physical Rehabilitation will no longer hire individuals who use tobacco or nicotine products in any form. Siskin Hospital recognizes the major importance of employees’ health and the responsibility of maintaining a healthy and safe environment for all employees, volunteers, patients and visitors. Therefore, all individuals who are offered a position with Siskin Hospital are screened for illegal drug, alcohol, and/or tobacco/nicotine as part of the post-offer health screening. Individuals whose post-offer health screening results are verified positive for illegal drugs, alcohol and/or tobacco/nicotine use, and/or whose reference and/or background checks are verified unsatisfactory, will be disqualified from employment, their job offer will be withdrawn, and they may be disqualified from applying for employment for one (1) year from the date of the post-offer health screening.
The Cultural Competency and Diversity Plan of Siskin Hospital is designed to help create and maintain an environment that promotes inclusion. Overall, creating the best experience for our patients and our employees. Caring People, Changing Lives.
If you are interested in joining our family, please email your resume to Human Resources at email@example.com.