Young cycle crash casualty beats one percent survival rate

April 6, 2021

It was a cold February day last year when Travis Ramsey, 27, headed out on his motorcycle down Dayton Boulevard.

Suddenly, a driver pulled out in front of him and Travis crashed into the front wheel. He doesn’t remember anything of the accident, but was told later that the car’s fender had cut into his chest. He’d also sustained a broken right tibia and fibula, broken left radius and ulna, broken open book pelvis and ribs, and severe nerve damage in his leg and hand.

EMTs rushed Travis, barely alive, to Erlanger Medical Center. His family lived four hours away; they immediately set out when they got the news of the accident and the prognosis of a one percent survival rate. They were coming to say their goodbyes.

Amazingly, Travis was still alive when they arrived. And he continued to hang on through four months of ICU care, despite coding five times, facing liver and kidney failure, and receiving more than 240 units of blood. For the first 10 days, Travis remained unconscious and only dimly remembers what followed: being turned in bed daily, numerous surgeries, monitors everywhere.

When the day came for Travis to continue his recovery beyond the acute care hospital, he still wasn’t strong enough to do much of anything. But his family knew that his best chance at recovery would be with Siskin Hospital. They wouldn’t take no for an answer and insisted on admission. To their great relief, Travis was at last cleared as weight bearing on his left leg and allowed to be treated at Siskin Hospital.

He arrived at Siskin Hospital just in time to go to bed the first night, but the very next day, his therapists were in his room to help him with bed exercises. Travis couldn’t do anything – he had to re-learn to walk, sit up and care for himself. He couldn’t bend his fingers because of the nerve damage. He was extremely weak from four months in bed and had lost 60 pounds from the trauma.

His therapists used the Hoyer lift to help him out of bed, but even though he was weight-bearing on one leg, he couldn’t stand on his own for more than 30 seconds. His blood pressure would plummet and he would nearly pass out, but little by little he made progress. When he was finally able to transfer on his own and take his first shower, he knew he was on his way to independence.

“My therapists worked really hard with me,” says Travis. “I could never have made it this far by myself. Because of Siskin Hospital, I can live again.”