Get Fit RX Medically Supervised Fitness Program
The Get Fit RX Medically Supervised Fitness Program is designed for anyone who has been under the care of a physician and needs to improve their health and fitness.
Our trained Fitness Center staff will provide education and assistance that is required for you to start down the path toward a healthier life.
What is Siskin Hospital's Medically Supervised Fitness Program?
- An introduction to medically supervised fitness and wellness that is tailored to the specific needs of the participants.
- Hands-on fitness training where you will learn to safely pursue your health and fitness goals.
What is expected of me?
- Participation in a minimum of two small group sessions per week.
- Completion of at least one additional general workout session per week where you will practice skills taught in group sessions, under the general supervision of Fitness Center staff.
How much does the program cost?
- The Get Fit RX Program costs ONLY $1 per day, totaling $60 for 60 days.
What additional services does the program include?
- Unlimited use of all Fitness Center facilities
- Unlimited participation in group classes
- Unlimited use of the therapeutic pool
- Discounts on personal training
- Discounts on massages
- Upon completion of program, discounted Fitness Center Membership rate
- The Fitness Center will keep referring physicians informed on their patients' progress.
- The Fitness Center has full-time exercise physiologists on staff.
- Siskin Hospital's Medical Director serves in an advisory role in the Get Fit RX Program, providing valuable medical insight.
How do I get started?
- Ask your physician if you are a good candidate for the program. If so, your physician simply completes the participant information. You may bring in the completed form to the Fitness Center or call us for an appointment.
Why Prescribe Exercise?
The American Medical Association (AMA) launched the "Exercise is Medicine" Program in 2007, recognizing the great importance of physical activity as a key component to staying healthy. Program initiatives include helping physicians to become effective at consistently counseling and referring patients in regard to their physical activity needs.
According to the AMA:
- 65% of patients would be more likely to exercise if advised by their doctor and given more resources.
- 25% of patients note that their doctor would be the first person they turn to for advice on exercise.
- 4 out of 10 physicians talk to their patients about the importance of exercise, but don't always offer suggestions as to how to be active.
60 Days to Healthier Living for Only $60
The Fitness Center at Siskin Hospital offers members many enjoyable ways to improve overall health at one of Chattanooga's only, open for public use, hospital-based fitness facilities. Members have access to a trained staff of exercise physiologists and other medical fitness professionals who are available to help with numerous wellness options that enable healthier living!
The Get Fit RX Program participants meet with the Fitness Center's medical fitness professionals in small group settings two times per week for 60 days.